Thursday, January 15, 2015

Warrior Weekend

Wow, how did time fly by so fast?! I feel like life has gotten away from me and am so sorry about the hiatus! I appreciate all of the "where have you gone?" emails.... I hear you, and I'm back!

As you know from my last post, there are so many great gun girl clubs out there! If you enjoy competitive shooting sports, A Girl and a Gun (AG & AG) is the one for you! One of the coolest things that they do is a quarterly "Warrior Weekend" featuring both classroom and live fire instruction.

In October, I attended the inaugural Warrior Weekend held at the beautiful NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM. It was an action packed weekend that I will never forget.

Day one was rainy and cold... This Southern Cali girl is not used to that much rain! We got settled in, munched on homemade meals by the fabulous ladies form AG&AG HQ, and had an eye opening session with professional life and business coach Kelley Moore to awaken our warrior within.

My group started day two with rifle. We each got to work with a beautiful Remington AR-15 which had been upgraded to "3-gun ready" with tons of parts from amazing sponsors. Each lady was able to hit targets out to 730 yards... even the first-timer in my group! Kudos to her!

Rifle session - day 1


Our second session was shotgun with Mens' Trap National Championship Gold Medalist Brian Burrows. We were able to work on both trap and skeet, and of course the standout of the group was again the first-timer! I was also a first-timer in trap/skeet, but unfortunately, my shotgun experience for the day was a big fat ZERO hits. Not my strong suit!

Needed some help with focus


I was able to redeem myself in our final session, pistol. After some practice and warmup, we shot a short natural terrain course set up by Denise Johnson, match director for Rocky Mountain 3 Gun also held at Whittington.

Natural terrain pistol course


Day two finally warmed up and the gorgeous blue skies of Whittington greeted us, along with some antelope, deer, and wild turkeys.

View from back patio of our cabin


Our morning started off with a bang - my very first 3-gun course! Our course of fire was set up with two short range and four long range (125 yd) rifle targets, then several reactive shotgun targets, including a flyer, and the last section included both paper and steel pistol targets. It was so much fun and I am HOOKED!




The rest of day 2 was fantastic and I am so proud to have been a part of this amazing weekend and met some fantastic ladies.





The next Warrior Weekend is February 1-4, 2015, in Tampa, FL. Boy am I jealous of the ladies who will get to go to this.... Will you be one of them? I hope so!

See you on the range!

No comments:

Post a Comment